Friday, June 20, 2014

Califia Farms Cocoa Noir Cold Brew Coffee Almondmilk Review


I can't live without coffee. I don't think the world can turn without coffee. There is no life without coffee.

I went to the Montrose Whole Foods Market yesterday to get some cold brew coffee when I saw coffee almondmilk by Califia Farms. I've seen these jugs of almondmilk coffee and people grab them off the shelves like their lives depend on it. I thought, well, I like coffee and I like almondmilk... but the jugs are so big! As I was pondering whether to buy it or not, a Whole Foods employee stopped in his tracks to tell me all about this mysterious coffee almondmilk. He was so passionate about it and was telling me how these fly off the shelves and tastes amazing as well as does a great job of delivering a generous energy boost. He told me they just recently started carrying single-serving size versions and would get one for me to sample. How nice is that? I love how passionate Whole Foods employees are and they genuinely want people to try food because it is good and not necessarily for sales. Since it was comped, I don't really know how much this 10.5 oz costs, but it is good so it will be worth it.


I got their Cocoa Noir variety which is like a mocha. As you can see on the bottle, it is vegan, gluten free, packaged in a BPA-free bottle, and its ingredients are non-GMO verified. Score!


Looking at the nutritional label, you can see it's vitamin-boosted and doesn't contain chemical ingredients. I don't have any sensitivities to carageenan or gums, so it's not something that bothers me to see it in the ingredients list. Their lecithin is derived from sunflower and not soy (for all you soy-intolerant people out there), although keep in mind they don't claim it to be soy-free.


I shook up the bottle before pouring myself a glass; there are some flecks of the almond milk not completely mixed in, but it's not something that bothers me. It doesn't affect the product quality in any way.


I felt a need to treat myself this morning so I added a little bit of whipped topping. Yum. This was such a treat! The coffee is just dark enough with a strong mocha presence and the almondmilk has a subtle thickness and is very smooth. The product did not have to be shaken before serving (I didn't see this stated on the bottle) as I noticed there wasn't any residue when I turned the bottle upside down at the store (large bottles are clear, single-serve is not). I should have taken a picture of it being poured out so you can see how creamy it is. It's definitely not too sweet but not bland either. It does however, have a strong almondmilk aroma (duh, it's almondmilk), and if you've ever put coffee and almondmilk together, it does not yield a coffee flavor the way you would expect when mixed with cow's milk or soy milk. If you're not used to this flavor, you may not like it. I personally enjoy almondmilk with coffee (cold, not hot) and fell in love with this product.

Next time you go to Whole Foods, make sure you purchase yourself some Califia Farms Coffee Almondmilk! They have a couple varieties and I've seen the mocha and plain coffee versions in the large jugs. I feel a need to go buy a big giant jug or two now. It's so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...