Saturday, June 28, 2014

Flatout Flat Bread Multi-Grain with Flax Review


I love bread, did I mention that already? I could live off of bread, seriously. But sometimes eating a very "bready" bread for lunch at work leaves me sleepy. I found this flat bread by Flatout at HEB this past week and caved in and bought it. I've seen this across a couple of health blogs lately and its macros are pretty good. This particular variety isn't too carby and has a good amount of protein and fiber. I'm sure we've all had those less than pleasant... digestive moments after eating too much bread so I welcome the fiber with open arms.


One thing I noticed that this brand emphasizes is that it makes "amazing pizza." I have yet to make pizza with it although I'm very curious and that does sound delicious. I used it to make a wrap and to my surprise, this flat bread has a good elasticity to it without tasting or feeling rubbery. I was able to roll up my chicken and crunchy romaine without it tearing.


Okay, it did tear a little but that was because I overstuffed it and could barely even get the seams together. The first time I made it without overstuffing it and it was perfect.


The flat bread is a pretty decent size, longer than it is wide which is perfect for a wrap. It's not dry like some flat breads and this particular variety was slightly sweet. Perfect, I like a little sweetness in my breads.


Up close, you can see the bread is pretty thin, but not too thin. Not too thick for a wrap either. I wonder how it would hold up to pizza though.


My wonderful wrap consisted of some romaine lettuce, grilled chicken breast, mushroom, and a splash of salad dressing. It was so good! I don't usually like eating wraps and sandwiches since I like my food deconstructed - this way I can taste each component to its full potential, but I was looking forward to this. It's definitely convenient when I don't have time to prepare lunch for the next day - I usually grill a huge batch of chicken breast for at least a week to 1.5 weeks in advance so all I have to do is chop some lettuce and assemble. I would recommend after rolling together the wrap to wrap it in foil and eat it out of that - it'll hold everything together. This isn't exactly a burrito with closed ends and extra elasticity so it will fall apart. You can go to the Flatout website to see where it is carried near you. I found it at HEB at the end of the bread aisle, not necessarily on their typical shelves but the extra shelves they add on to the aisle. This was the case at two HEBs I went to so I am assuming they did this for a good number of their stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...