Saturday, March 29, 2014

Coffee, Arctic Zero, and new furniture!

This week has been a fun week with my new Verona Buffet from World Market. I've been meaning to buy more kitchen storage and World Market had a sale + 20% off coupon. I saved about $140!


While waiting for a friend to help me and come pick it up (it was well over 140 lbs) since it wouldn't fit in my Beetle, I browsed the store and tried some of their Peruvian coffee and Torani Sugar Free Belgian Cookie Speculoos syrup. It was amazing! I've been curious about this syrup and I'm glad they had it out to sample. Their Peruvian coffee blend was pretty darn good too, it's got notes of cocoa and bitterness and acidity is low to none.


By the way, the Verona Buffet took probably an hour to build by myself and was pretty easy. I love World Market furniture, the quality is excellent and the price is always right. Not to mention they have unique high-end looking designs too.

I have a couple of new obsessions this week:
  • Cinnamon scrambled eggs with PB2 topping 
  • Arctic Zero 
  • Tempeh 

Cinnamon Scrambled Eggs Recipe
  • 1 whole egg 
  • 3 egg whites 
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon 
  • 1 packet SweetLeaf stevia (this brand has always worked well for me) 
  • 1/4 tsp Nielsen Massey madagascar bourbon vanilla extract (the only vanilla brand I will ever use!) 
  • Splash of water (I find it makes the eggs fluffier) 

In a heated sprayed small skillet, pour the mixture into the pan, wait about 30-40 seconds and start pushing the edges to the center. Repeat this process until eggs are fully cooked. I will flip over the mass of eggs when there is little liquid left. "Scooting" the edges into the center seem to make it fluffy for me. 

To top it off, I put a scoop (or a couple) of Vanilla Maple Arctic Zero on top. The whole container is only 150 calories! They came out with a new formula and it tastes pretty smooth with a creamy texture. This has been a lifesaver when I just want to indulge mindlessly.

I kind of wanted another dessert as well so I made Arctic Zero affogato! Using my handy Nespresso, I brewed up some espresso and pour it over a scoop of Arctic Zero. I was trying to mimic my dessert from Pittsburgh last week:



Enough about sweets, let's talk savoury. After all, my new year's resolution was to retrain my tastebuds to crave more savoury than sweet! I bought tempeh for the first time last week. At first, I didn't know if I liked it since it's got a weird fermented pungent smell/taste. But once you get past that, it has a really good flavor! I don't know how to explain it, but I think growing up on Asian food has me really liking it. I stir-fried it with some shiritaki noodles, cabbage, and mushrooms and served over black rice for dinner.

A note on soy: whenever I can, I always opt for organic soy since it is often GMO and sprayed heavily with pesticides.


Tempeh and veggie stir-fry recipe:
  • 3.5 oz Lightlife Organix Flax Tempeh
  • 1/2 package of NoOodle, rinsed and drained 
  • 1 cup of sliced cabbage 
  • 1 cup of slice mushrooms 
  • 1 - 2 tsp Frontier salt-free all-purpose seasoning 
  • 1 - 2 tsp soy sauce 
  • 1/3 cup black rice 
In a heated sprayed skillet, add tempeh. Stir until slightly golden and add the soy sauce. Then add the shiritaki noodles to remove the excess water. Next, add the cabbage and mushrooms. Stir until wilts a little and add the Frontier seasoning and additional soy sauce. I like it to have a little crunch in it, so I don't cook it for too long. Serve over black rice.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...