Saturday, April 5, 2014

Exploring workout options, Teo Chew chinese food, and mango chips

It's been awhile since I've eaten at an Asian restaurant but after a heavy leg day today (and a good workout at Studio Fitness Heights - trying it out for now), I ended up going to get one of my favorite dishes since childhood at Tan Tan restaurant. It's called banh bot chien and and this restaurant makes the best. Many have tried to pull it off but no one comes near. I remember reading this is a Teo Chew dish which is hard to find these days.


It's made from rice flour, turnips (I think pickled turnips?) and eggs. This is what I ate throughout my childhood every time we came here to this restaurant. It's classified as an appetizer but it's easily a meal on it's own. Another childhood dish is crunchy fried noodles with a veggie and seafood stir-fry in brown sauce laying atop of it all. I love the contrast between the noodles that have already absorbed the sauce and the dry crunchy portion. This is another dish this restaurant is famous for.


Back to the workout at this new gym I'm trying out; my friend said he would help me so I'm debating if I should join. I tend to feel uncomfortable in the free weights section and generally around the machines. I also need someone to spot me so I can lift as heavy as I can and I refuse to ask strangers for help. It's a little farther than I'd like but my workouts will probably be quite a bit better having someone I know there to push me (and won't let me give up).

Anyway, earlier this week I went to Whole Foods and found popped mango chips with chili seasoning by Yogavive. My mom really likes dried chewy mango with chili seasoning, but that's often cooked in sugar so I decided to give these a try and maybe convert her to a less sugary alternative. This was not cheap. It was a little almost $4 for maybe a cup's worth of mango chips.




It's pretty good and can be addictive. But I learn to control myself when something is expensive (sometimes). It's a good alternative when I'm craving something crunchy. I like how the mangoes are kind of sticky when you start chewing on it; reminds me of the Mexican Lucas candy I used to eat growing up. I have an inkling that those Mexican mangonada drinks taste similar to this. That's on my list of foods to try. Perhaps in the hot and humid summer (will it ever come back?!).

With the weather warming up, I found some recipes for greek frozen froyo made at home, if I give it a try, I'll post the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...