Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Overnight breakfasts, a time-saver

I've been on a overnight oats and chia seed breakfast kick, although I do like the overnight oats a lot better. It does save a lot of time in the morning when I oversleep on a daily basis and am rushing to cook my morning oatmeal. Initially, I tried making overnight chia seed pudding for breakfast the next day - it came out pretty good but it more like a dessert soup since I added too much water. 


I ended up making overnight oats. The first time I had any type of oats soaked in yogurt was swiss oatmeal from Corner Bakery. I was obsessed with it. Oatmeal soaked in yogurt and served with green apples, currants, and almonds. It was pretty good, but probably high in sugar as well. I decided to make my own - a healthier version. It's almost like a rice pudding, but healthy! I've done a couple of variations on this based on what I'm craving - I'm thinking of trying a mocha flavored soon as well as a matcha flavored one! I love matcha, but I think the yogurt might overpower it - it would probably be better with milk if going for a matcha flavor.


Overnight Oats Base Recipe
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats 
  • 1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used Fage 0%) 
  • Sweetener of choice (I used Wholesome Sweeteners organic stevia here) 
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cup of liquid (I used 1/2 cup of water) 
Additions:

Fruit, PB2, nut butters, cocoa powder, extracts, lemon zest, the possibilities are endless! For a decadent dessert, I will probably add some chocolate chips or Sunspire's unsweetened carob chips (Sunspire has the best carob chips and since carob is already naturally sweet, I don't feel a need to get the sweetened version).

Method:

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, cover, and let it sit overnight
In the morning, stir the mixture and add more liquid if preferred for a looser texture or eat as is for a thick, pudding-like texture!

I can definitely see myself making this when I'm craving something like rice pudding. I would want to try it with canned coconut milk for dessert. Hmmm with toasted coconut and dark chocolate chips. Maybe add in some roasted chopped almonds for an almond joy variation. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...