Saturday, April 19, 2014

Greek Froyo + My Fit Foods

This has been a tiring week.  I decided I needed to run and overdid it.  It's weird how I used to run every single day, 4 - 6 miles for three months straight and felt great.  But throw some hills in there and one day is enough to kill me.  Add in some headwind and I might as well call in to work dead.  I'm short.  Hills are not my friend.

Anyway, I had a craving for something frozen this week and since my ice cream maker bowl was already in the freezer, I decided to whip up some greek froyo!  So it's not comparable to froyo shops, probably because I myself refuse to put in as much a sugar as they do, but it was still good.  I made some blueberry fat free froyo and now that I think of it, adding in some xanthan gum would've been a good idea to make up for the lack of fat and give it a nice mouth feel.


Blueberry Greek Froyo Recipe

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup Fage 0% (or whatever you like, this is what I used)
  • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  • 2 Tbsp sweetener (I think honey would've been awesome, but I only had corn syrup.  Also, I've read that the liquid sweeteners will contribute to a better mouthfeel)
Method:
  1. Mix sweetener into yogurt until completely dissolved or evenly distributed
  2. Add blueberries and mix thoroughly
  3. Dump into prepared ice cream bowl and use according to ice cream maker's instructions
It took about 10 - 15 minutes to get it to a nice scoopable texture. Being fat free, a lot of it stuck to the frozen ice cream bowl! I think adding in some guar gum and xanthan gum would give it a better texture.  

In my last post, I mentioned trying chicken. Well, I did.  And it wasn't too weird as I had eaten chickpea nuggets before and do eat seitan and such.  The difference was how filling it was.  I decided on Thursday I was going to try it and went to My Fit Foods and bought two entrees.  I almost forgot to take a picture and already ate a slice of chicken. This was a small portion and probably half a breast. It made me full! I mean, it was a different feeling of satiety from eating the vegetarian fare I normally eat. 


I really liked this dish, especially the pilaf, there was so much variety in the flavors. The chicken was good too and I am keeping chicken in my diet.

Yesterday, we had lunch catered in at work and I opted for a spinach strawberry salad + chicken. It had goat cheese and sliced almonds as well. I brought my own dressing and after tasting the salad, used only a tad. The chicken was well seasoned and the strawberries with goat cheese was practically a dressing in itself. The portion looked small, but it was actually filling. My eyes are usually bigger than my stomach. Good thing this was portioned.


I plan on trying some simple chicken recipes soon and will post the ones that taste decent!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...