Thursday, July 31, 2014

Houston: Trellis Spa Review


This past Saturday, my sister cashed in my birthday gift to her (back in April) for a day at Trellis Spa at the Houstonian. If you've ever had the opportunity to go to this spa, you know you're in for a treat! It's the best spa I've tried out, although I haven't been to many. This is your top choice in Houston though, from location, to service, to amenities, and even the food. We both got a deep tissue massage and it's one of those "it hurts so good" type massages. I definitely needed it since I've been working on my deadlifts and stacking on more plates. We reserved lunch after our service and they have to have orders 24 hours prior to prepare it. This was odd I thought. The last time I went, we could just order like you would at a restaurant. Now, you have to reserve your meal.

Well, they brought out the wrong thing. I requested the Chicken Southwest Caesar Wrap as a salad with dressing on the side and they confirmed this for me twice. They even said "you want it as a salad?" to which I responded yes. The server was a little standoffish and was trying to argue. I guess a supervisor or so came out and she verified with me if I ordered it as a salad and I responded, yes it was confirmed as a salad, twice. She apologized for the miscommunication and said that she would remove the charge and if I wanted something else, she could check what was available in the kitchen, otherwise it would take 20 minutes to prepare. I told her it was okay and just ate the chicken and salad out of the tortilla wrap.

Anyway, I thought that was pretty good service but the server still should be a little less standoffish next time. I'm not trying to be a snob, but when 1) I ordered ahead and was confirmed in their words that I wanted it "as a salad," and 2) I was confirmed my dish again upon checking in, and 3) I pay a pretty good amount for top of the line services, I expect to be served what I ordered and if it was a mistake, not to be spoken to like it was my fault.

Anyhoo, this is a food blog, I'm done ranting. The chicken was abundant and the salad contained cotija cheese, fresh corn, black beans, and pumpkin seeds. On the side it came with avocado and tomato slices. I could have easily ate the whole thing without utilizing the dip, which was some sort of chipotle ranch. But I wanted to indulge a little and dipped it in the dressing. It was sooooo creamy! Had a nice little kick to it as well and great flavor. The chicken was moist and the pumpkin seeds complemented the salad very well. I would've never thought to add any kind of seeds to a wrap, but it worked well. I would definitely order this again. I'm sure if I ate the wrap too, I would be bloated, but not if I ate maybe one or two segments out of the three. No one wants to leave a spa bloated, especially after a relaxing massage.


My sister ordered the Seared Moroccan Spiced Tuna with the request of no feta cheese since she didn't really like it. It came with some sort of pesto/vinaigrette to dress the salad mixture of pearl couscous, arugula, fennel, pistachio, and dried cranberries. I am allergic to avocados which came with my dish so I gave it to her.


She poured the vinaigrette over her tuna and salad and said it was pretty good and refreshing. She also said the avocado worked really well with it all so I think she would request avocado with it next time we went. I didn't try it but it looked refreshing. Maybe next time? It certainly looks delicious.

There aren't that many offerings on the Trellis Spa dining menu but I've never had a bad experience with their food. The ingredients used are fresh and simple but yet so flavorful. Their quinoa dish is excellent by the way. Definitely plan for lunch here if you're getting services done. I had originally planned to eat elsewhere, but my sister wanted to take in the experience and dine outside on the patio after our massages and it was a treat to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...