Saturday, July 12, 2014

Marinated Seared Tuna Recipe


For the 4th of July holiday and weekend, I decided to treat myself and splurge on big eye tuna from Central Market. I love ahi tuna, but try to limit myself since 1) it's expensive and 2) it's considered a high-mercury fish. I haven't had it in awhile and it was on sale + 4th of July so the timing was perfect. So I researched a couple of recipes and decided on Food Network's Anne Burrell's recipe.

Before heading off to the gym, I prepared to marinate my tuna for the two hours called for in the recipe. However, I didn't have any sambal oelek, but had something fairly similar and used Lee Kum Kee Chili Garlic Sauce instead.


You can already tell the mixture of ingredients was going to yield a pretty tasty seared tuna. Look at all seasonings:


Then I poured it over my tuna and let it marinate for about two hours while I went to Studio Fitness Heights to do my crazy full body workout that Sohee Lee prescribed for me. I'll just say my tuna was very well deserved after my workout.


When I got home, I took it out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes as called for in the recipe. I hadn't done this before for tuna, but it I will start now - it cooks better and doesn't leave a seared cold tuna to be plated. Instead of oiling the pan, I just sprayed it with some nonstick spray which worked for me and my post workout meal.


Pan-seared one minute on each side on a thick slab of tuna yielded a nice browned layer and a pretty raw center which I prefer.


I made sure to keep all herbs and seasonings stuck on the tuna so it would sear nicely as well and used the rest to season my side of jasmine rice and frozen peas. Mmmmmmm it was so good! Definitely a nice meal after a tough full body workout. The ginger brightened up the tuna and the soy sauce was not too salty. I didn't use too much rice vinegar since my body doesn't tolerate it well. I used more garlic and ginger than called for in the recipe since I really like those flavors. Searing it yielded a slightly smoky flavor to the garlic and ginger. I poured the leftover sauce in the hot pan and let it simmer for about 20 seconds before pouring it over my rice. You can use it as a dipping sauce for your tuna or just pour it over the tuna instead. Anne Burrell's recipe is a winner and you should try it the next time you're serving up some tuna. Make sure to catch her show, Secrets of a Restaurant Chef, on the Food Network channel for some more yummy recipes!


Marinated Seared Ahi Tuna for 1 (adapted from Anne Burrell on Food Network)

  • 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp Lee Kum Kee Chili Garlic Sauce
  • 1 scallion finely chopped (white and light green parts only)
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 inch ginger, grated
  • 5 - 6 oz ahi tuna

Mix the first six ingredients together. Pour over tuna and make sure all sides are soaked. Refrigerate for about two hours, turning the tuna over occasionally, although it is not absolutely necessary. Before cooking, remove from refrigerator for 20 - 30 minutes and turn the tuna over at least once to marinate evenly. Heat a frying pan on high heat coated with nonstick spray and sear each side for about one minute. Jasmine rice works best if using rice as a side. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...